Pandora now offers an on-demand streaming service.
Pandora now has an on-demand streaming service to compete with the likes of Spotify and Apple Music.
Important: If your CD Baby distribution preferences include streaming platforms, we will automatically deliver your music to Pandora Premium — and it may be available upon launch. However, Pandora will still play some curatorial role in the contents of their interactive streaming catalog (like they do with their non-interactive radio catalog), so we cannot guarantee that your music will be included.
To deliver your music to Pandora Premium, sign up with CD Baby today!
If you’re already using CD Baby, log into your members account and make sure your digital distribution preferences are set to include streaming services like Pandora Premium, Spotify, Apple Music, etc. We’ll take care of the rest.
You should still submit music directly for Pandora Radio.
Inclusion in Pandora Premium does not guarantee that your music will be available on Pandora Radio, so it’s recommended that you still submit music to Pandora Radio through their online submission process.
How royalties differ for Pandora Premium and Pandora Radio.
Because Pandora now has interactive, non-interactive, and enhanced-radio services, a play on Pandora can generate several different kinds of royalties, and how those royalties are paid to you differs depending on how your music was added to Pandora’s catalog.
For a complete royalty breakdown check out the infographic “How Pandora Royalties Really Work.”
More information about Pandora Premium.
According to Pandora’s press release:
For $9.99 a month, Pandora Premium combines the best of Pandora’s beloved personalized radio with the ability to search and play any track or album as well as a unique set of playlist features tailored to each person’s distinct preferences. Listeners can now curate their music experience with an ease of use unmatched by any other service.
“Every day tens of millions of people trust us to choose the exact right songs for them. That’s why they spend more time with Pandora than any other music service,” said Tim Westergren, founder and CEO of Pandora. “With Premium, we’re leveraging our immense trove of data and everything we’ve learned about personalization to offer a listening experience that sets a new standard for what a music service should be.”
Pandora listeners who start a trial will see all of their stations and thumbed up songs and a visually stunning “Now Playing” experience, which pulls a signature color from the album art and changes as each track plays. Innovative new features are designed to make finding and collecting music and building playlists easy:
- Playlists, not worklists: Start a playlist with one or two songs of your choice, tap “Add Similar Songs” and put the power of Pandora’s Music Genome Project to work to create the perfect playlist for any activity, mood or party.
- All your thumbs up: Every song you’ve thumbed up on Pandora is immediately available in your “My Thumbs Up” playlist. Thumb up a few tracks on any Pandora radio station and Premium will automatically create a new playlist of these songs too.
- New music for you… and only you: Browse is stocked with personalized suggestions for the latest releases from current and soon-to-be favorites whether you listen to classical, metal, jazz, hip hop, country, and everything in between.
- Offline mode: Download albums, songs stations or playlists you want and bring an end to those moments of deafening silence when you lose a signal.
- Search that knows you: Pandora’s team of curators, music analysts and data scientists have sifted through tens of millions of tracks to help you quickly find what you really want. No more wading through covers, karaoke versions or tribute tracks to get to your favorite tune.
Existing Pandora Plus subscribers will enjoy six months of Premium for no additional charge. Trial lengths for existing Pandora ad-supported listeners and those new to Pandora vary. Premium is available now on iOS and Android phones, Google Chromecast, and integrated in the car with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, GM, Honda, Hyundai, JVC Kenwood, Mazda, Pioneer and Subaru. It will be available on other platforms, including desktop and popular connected devices, in the coming months.
For more information on how to get the most out of your music on Pandora, check out:
- How to promote your music on Pandora using their Artist Marketing Platform.
- How to collect ALL your royalties for Pandora plays.
- How we used Pandora AMP to score an extra 50k hits on our Facebook video in 3 days
Are you excited about this new streaming option? Will Pandora be able to catch up to competitors? Let me know your thoughts in the comments.