Take control of your artist branding on Apple Music
If you’re including streaming services in your distribution through CD Baby, your music will already be at Apple Music when they launch on June 30th.
One of the most exciting features of Apple Music is ‘Connect,’ a social bridge between artists and fans. With Connect, you can customize your artist branding on Apple Music by adding photos, bios, videos, songs, and other promotional content that your fans can comment on, like, and share via Messenger, Facebook, Twitter, or email.
[Note: the exclusive content you share via Connect will be ad-free, and it will NOT be monetized — so you still need go through a label or distributor in order to get paid for streaming activity on Apple Music.]
So… how do you claim your artist profile on Apple Music?
- First, you must have your music on Apple Music. Again, if you’re already including streaming services in your distribution through CD Baby, we’ve got you covered. You can jump down to step #2.
If you don’t have your catalog on Apple Music yet, you must go through a label or aggregator to get your music onto the streaming service.
As an Apple-approved distributor, CD Baby can deliver your music to Apple Music quickly. So sign up your music today!
- Go Here. Enter in your Apple ID and Password.
- Select the type of content you’d like to manage (choose “Artists”).
- Click the ‘+’ link on the next screen.
- Click ‘+’ again on the next screen and enter your iTunes Store artist page URL into the popup.
The reason I suggest entering the iTunes Store link rather than your artist name is because there may be other artists out there with identical or similar names (for instance: there’s probably a few singers named “Sam Smith”), and entering the exact iTunes URL will prevent confusion and delays.
- Select your role (solo artist, band member, manager, etc.) and fill out the subsequent fields.
If you don’t have a manager or label, just enter your own information for both and pat yourself on the back for being totally DIY.
- Click Done.
- You’ll soon receive an email that looks like this:
Which means… keep waiting a little bit longer. Your submission is pending and Apple will contact you when they’ve reviewed the submission. Once your submission is approved you can log back in and start updating your artist profile on Apple Music!
Are you excited about Apple Music? What will be the impact of this service on the music industry? Let us know in the comments below.