Video has become an essential tool for successfully promoting music online. Artists that are effectively connecting with fans through video are seeing big returns, both in music sales and growth in their fan base. But what makes a good video? It’s ultimately up to your audience to make that decision, but here are some tips to make sure you’re on the right track with your video efforts.
1. Get to the point – There’s little point in making your viewers sit through 30 seconds of intro music or random video footage. Get right to the meat of your content. If you don’t capture the viewer’s attention in the first 5-10 seconds, you can bet they won’t see any reason to stick around.
2. Keep your videos brief – People tend to ingest content on the web in small doses. If it’s longer than 3 minutes, you’re probably starting to test people’s patience.
3. Learn to edit in the camera – Be selective with what you shoot by thinking about the final product before you hit record. Don’t leave a camera running for a 3-hour rehearsal and expect that someone will go back and edit it down later. Save yourself the time and effort by envisioning what your audience might want to see, and just filming that.
4. Don’t forget to talk to the camera – The camera lens can seem impersonal and even a bit intimidating, but don’t let this stop you from looking and talking directly at it. While it may feel awkward, it will ultimately make your audience feel that you’re speaking right to them.
5. This is not a Hollywood production – Don’t over think your videos. No one is expecting a masterpiece, so don’t get bogged down in the creation process. The important thing is to get the content out there, allowing your fans to get to intimately know you and your music. Save the fancy production techniques for Hollywood.
Of course, there are exceptions to all these rules – music videos and concert footage being prime examples – but for the artist that’s looking to develop a video promotion strategy, or simply improve on what they’ve already been doing, these tips should get you on the road to increased fan response and bring you one step closer to that viral video hit.